• An act of mass murder, not a mere accident
  • Lawlessness all around
  • Sakib, Musfiq save the day for Tigers
  • Dirty tricks in cycling!
  • A feast for the eyes
  • Bari Siddiqui emerges in acting
  • Deadly collapse renews ‘sweatshop’ safety woes
  • Savar tragedy to affect GSP hearing : Mozena
  • Syria rebels launch attack in Hama
  • South Korea seeks talks with North
  • Construction of city kitchen markets to miss 3rd deadline
  • Collapse panic drives students out of classrooms
  • Rana Plaza death toll reaches 258
  • Big cash incentives fail to earn compliance
  • Prosecution submits charge for killing intellectuals
  • ACC to take action against admin, Rajuk officials
  • DEMU service halts after inauguration
  • Bikapla Dhara hunger strikes on May 4 demanding CG
HOME  MAIN NEWS
  
Print Friendly and PDF

Rana Plaza death toll reaches 258

Rescuers short of equipment, authorities say use of heavy equipment after 72 hours

Taib Ahmed, Hasanul Banna and Rashad Ahmad . Savar

Rescuers carry on a salvage operation using torch-lights inside the rubble of Rana Plaza that collapsed at Savar on Thursday. — Sanaul HaqueRescuers carry on a salvage operation using torch-lights inside the rubble of Rana Plaza that collapsed at Savar on Thursday. — Sanaul Haque

The death toll from the building collapse at Savar rose on Thursday to 258 with about two thousand survivors rescued by the afternoon. Rescuers and local people feared that about a thousand were still trapped inside the rubble.
Nine-storey Rana Plaza that house five apparel factories, a shopping mall and a bank, collapsed about 9:00am on Wednesday on another bordering building after cracks had been spotted in Rana Plaza the previous day.
The apparel manufacturers’ association earlier said that there were more than 3,500 people working in the building at the time of the collapse.
The additional police superintendent of Savar circle, Moshiuddowlah Reza, who is keeping the tally of the dead bodies in Adharchandra High School ground, after midnight past Thursday said that the death figure had reached 258 and the toll could be rising. Two hundred and thirteen bodies were handed over to families after identification.
The death toll was rising every moment till Thursday with the rescue work going on manually.
Troops and fire fighters rescuing people from the building said they could launch a ‘massive operation for strategic reasons.’
They said that they would go for ‘a massive operation’ 48 to 72 hours after the incident as they said they could not speed up their work because of the precarious situation the survivors were in.
Several hundred volunteers, troops and fire fighters were conducting the rescue operation. The number of civilian volunteers has outnumbered the troops and fire fighters.
Rescuers, who were working with small equipment such as iron rod cutters and hammers, said that lack of adequate equipment for such operation was hampering their work.
Several hundred volunteers were also sending supplies such as oxygen, water, air fresheners and clothes inside the wreckage through holes as the people who were still alive could not breathe properly because of the air reeking with stench coming from the dead bodies that started decomposing.
Many of the volunteers said that they were not getting adequate supplies. Some of them were holding up placards standing on the debris that read ‘Please,  give us some clothes, torches, air fresheners and water.’
Volunteers, mostly students, apparel workers and employees of private firms and organisations, outnumbered rescuers coming from the army and the Fire Service and Civil Defence.
Many private firms came forward with whatever equipment they had to help in the rescue operation.
Witnesses said that the rescue work could have been expedited if all present there had engaged themselves in the operation in a coordinated manner.
A volunteer, who was cutting a concrete slab with a rod cutter, said that more people could have been save if they had heavy-duty tools, expediting their work.
Survivors were crying out for help from all the corners of the rubble.
‘The apparel manufacturers’ association estimated about 3,000 workers to be inside the building at the time of the collapse. We fear that there are about 1,000 people still trapped under the rubble,’ Colonel Shaikhezzuman, of the 9th Infantry Division supervising the rescue operation, told New Age in the afternoon.
A mobile crane that Energypac employed was busy removing remove the rubble from the wreckage.
The control room set up at the site to supervise the rescue operation were only holding news conferences. But reporters found no one in the control room about midday to give the progress in the rescue operation.
Engineering corps captain in the Savar cantonment Lieutenant Colonel Moin said, ‘Three excavators and three bulldozers have been kept standby for the operation. But we will search for survivors for until the 72nd hours. We will then use heavy equipment.’
Air Force officer Mohiuddin said that an oxygen vehicle stated feeding oxygen into the building at 10:00am on Tuesday. He said another such vehicle would be doing the job added today.
The general officer commanding of the ninth infantry division, Major General Chowdhury Hasan Sarwardy, at a press briefing at the control room said that the death toll had reached 200 about 4:00pm. ‘And of them, 191 have been handed over to their families.’ He claimed they had rescued about 2,000 survivors.
As for progress in the rescue operation, he said, ‘If equipment were not used carefully, there could be more casualties.’
He said that 20 teams were working on the site. ‘They are now cutting holes to get inside the building.’
Asked why they were not using heavy equipment such as big cranes and load dumber, he said that everything had been kept standby and would be used in  time.
‘The entire building may collapse further if we use big equipment right now,’ he said.
He said that they needed a of minimum 48 hours and a maximum 72 hours to use heavy equipment. He called on all to keep patience until the rescue operation was called off.
The army officer praised the prime minister, Sheikh Hasina, her sister Sheikh Rehena and ruling party activists, including activists of Juba League, Chhatra League and Swechchhasebak League, for their ‘immense support’ for the rescue operation.
The stretch of the highway passing by the collapse site has been kept off-limits to vehicles.




Reader’s Comment

comments powered by Disqus
   

Rana Plaza death toll reaches 258

Rescuers carry on a salvage operation using torch-lights inside the rubble of Rana Plaza that collapsed at Savar on Thursday. — Sanaul Haque
The death toll from the building collapse at Savar rose on Thursday to 258 with about two thousand survivors rescued by the afternoon. Rescuers and local people feared that about a thousand were still trapped inside the rubble. Full story

Big cash incentives fail to earn compliance

Successive governments over the past two decades have doled out at least Tk 10,000 crore in cash incentives to the export-oriented readymade garment houses but failed to make many of them comply with the... Full story

Prosecution submits charge for killing intellectuals

The war crimes prosecutors on Thursday submitted formal charges to the registrar of the International Crimes Tribunal against Al-Badr operation in-charge Chowdhury Mueeniddin and chief executor Md Ashrafuzzaman Khan... Full story

ACC to take action against admin, Rajuk officials

The Anti-Corruption Commission will take legal action against the owner of Rana Plaza in Savar that collapsed on Wednesday, killing scores of people and injuring more, if the commission finds any abuse of power... Full story

Still alive on the other side

A woman, trapped inside the rubble of Rana Plaza that collapsed early Wednesday, on Thursday afternoon were still crying out for help as rescuers were trying to get her out cutting a concrete slab with a small cutter. Full story

Police yet to arrest Rana

The police failed to arrest Sohel Rana, owner of Rana Plaza at Savar that collapsed on Wednesday, leaving so far more than 250 people dead and more than 2,000 injured, till Thursday night. Full story

Taliban, taboos bar millions of women from Pakistan vote

Next month̢۪s elections should mark the first democratic transition of power in Pakistan, but Taliban threats, social taboos and poor organisation will likely deprive millions of women their right to vote. Full story

Khaleda visits Savar

The Bangladesh Nationalist Party on Thursday termed genocide the Savar tragedy. The party held responsible the government, local administration, Rajdhani Unnayan Kartripakkha, local lawmaker and owner of Rana... Full story

4 factories of top BGMEA leaders found structurally flawed

A BGMEA task force has found that four factory buildings owned by top leaders of the association have flaws in their architectural designs and were constructed in deviations from their original plans and not in compliance... Full story

RMG units close amid violent labour unrest

Apparel workers in thousands took to the streets in Gazipur and resorted to arson and vandalism on Thursday in protest against owners keeping garment factories open on national day for mourning the dead... Full story

Rana is not a Juba League leader: PM

The prime minister, Sheikh Hasina, on Thursday told parliament that Sohel Rana, the owner of Rana Plaza that collapsed on Wednesday leaving over 200 killed, was not a leader of Awami Jubo League, the Awami... Full story

HC orders production of building, factory owners April 30

The High Court on Thursday asked the police to produce the owners of the collapsed Rana Plaza and the chairmen and managing directors of the five garments factories and a shopping mall housed in the building before it on April 30. Full story

building collapse JS panel wants action against people responsible

A parliamentary panel on Thursday asked the government to identify the people responsible for building collapse in Savar that left around 200 people dead and take appropriate action against them. Full story

MKA blames opposition men shaking pillars, gate for collapse

The home minister, Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir, on Thursday said that nine-storey Rana Plaza at Savar might have collapsed as some opposition activists had shaken some pillars and a collapsible gate of Rana Plaza, where cracks had... Full story

BGMEA suspends membership of Rana Plaza apparel units

The Bangladesh Garment manufacturers and Exporters̢۪ Association on Thursday suspended the membership of five factories housed in nine-story Rana Plaza at Saver that collapsed, leaving 230 dead by Thursday afternoon... Full story

HC asks govt to declare Bhitargarh as archaeological site

The High Court on Thursday asked the government to preserve the site of the seventh century fort at Bhitargarh in Panchagarh after it was declared an archaeological site. The bench of Justice Naima Haider and Justice... Full story

Chinese president felicitates Hamid

Chinese president Xi Jingping has congratulated the new president of Bangladesh Md. Abdul Hamid Advocate. In his message, president Xi Jingping recalled the sound relationship between Bangladesh and China... Full story

Fakhrul shifted to BSMMU

Bangladesh Nationalist Party acting secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir was shifted from the Kashimpur Central Jail to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Hospital on Thursday afternoon. Full story

2 women injured in training plane crash

The trainer and a trainee sustained minor injuries as their training plane skidded off the runway while landing at Shah Mukhdum Airport in Rajshahi Thursday afternoon. ‘We have received information of the accident... Full story

Home ministry institutes probe to identify lapses in a week

The ministry of home affairs has appointed a five-member committee to investigate into the building collapse at Savar on the outskirts of the capital city, that killed at least 250 people mostly female apparel workers... Full story

UP chairman killed in road accident

A union council chairman was killed in a road accident on Chaudala-Rahanpur road at Belalbazar under Gomostapur upazila of the district Thursday morning. The deceased was identified as Khairul Alam Natu, 45, son of... Full story
  • Online Poll


    Do you think that the government has successfully brought back normalcy in public life after the January 5 elections?

    • Yes
    • No
    • No comment
    Ajax Loader